Do you whine, bark or growl? - - Training Dogs
Dogs understand the tone of our voice more quickly than the meaning of our words. Their communication fits into three basic categories вЂ” whine, bark, growl.
Praise (вЂњHappy talkвЂќ)
- - High-pitched, enthusiastic
- - If praising correctly, Lizzie will respond by wagging tail.
- - find the tone that makes Lizzie look happy when you praise her.
Command (bark) mid-range to neutral
- - Not requesting, but telling Lizzie.
- - No nonsense, matter of fact, short words.
- - be direct when commanding
Corrective (growl) guttural tone
- - Never done with anger
- - use deep serious tone for corrections. NO YELLING.
- - Stay calm
- WhatвЂ™s My Dog Telling Me? Why Dogs Bark and What TheyвЂ™re Trying to Say
- Barking: What is Your Dog Really Saying?
- Maybe dogs really can talk!
- Wacky Product of the Week: Puppy Tweets
- What Are Dogs Trying to Say When They Bark?
- What Are Dogs Saying When They Bark? [Excerpt]